INTERESTED IN BECOMING PART OF OUR TEAM?
- EHS Manager
Solecta is looking for an EH&S manager who is responsible for an on-going assessment of environmental, health and safety systems. This position is responsible for the development of company policies, procedures and practices relative to compliance with OSHA, EPA along with all other local, state, and federal EH&S regulations. The EH&S manager will engage employees to promote behaviors that will achieve the highest levels of productivity in the safest possible manner to ensure a safe, healthy and incident-free work environment.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Perform internal audits and host external audits of the Company’s environmental health and safety plans and implement corrective actions based on findings.
- Serve as liaison for all health and safety regulatory agencies; OSHA, state, county and federal permitting agencies, EPA, Air Pollution Control, and the like.
- Develops, recommends and implements programs to assure compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations including documentation, reporting, permits, manifests, training and policy development.
- Review and recommend plans and specifications for machinery, equipment, processes or procedures to determine if all health and safety precautions have been included. Provide ROI and risk analysis as required.
- Implement and maintain programs for ongoing analysis of audiometric testing, ergonomic requirements and air quality testing.
- Administer hazardous materials program to include management, training, maintenance of safety data sheets (SDS), disposal and record keeping.
- Ensure proper recordkeeping requirements in support of health and safety plans and procedures ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Partner with Human Resources on the administration of workers compensation. Manage investigation system for accidents to minimize recurrence. Maintain appropriate records and prepare appropriate reports according to OSHA requirements of accident and injuries. Contribute to the preparation of the OSHA 300 Log.
- Manages all loss prevention and worker’s compensation programs. Acts as the primary contact for all employees on accident reporting, investigation and hazard elimination.
- Serve as Chairperson for the Safety committee. Conduct training in all areas of health and safety.
- Provide technical support and direction for Environmental, Health and Safety compliance programs and practices.
- Leads and facilitates the plant safety committee.
- Manages and supports corporate, local, state and federal environmental health and safety regulatory compliance.
- Develops, implements, and communicates environmental, health and safety policies and procedures.
- Develops and administers EH&S training and communication programs (IIPP, EAP, HAZCOM, HAZMAT, confined space, personal protective equipment, SDS, Job Safety Analysis, etc.).
- Facilitates new hire orientation and contractor EHS orientation programs.
- Tracks all training environmental, health and safety programs and prepares annual training plans.
- Assists as the emergency evacuation coordinator for the facility.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited Institution in Safety, EHS, Occupational Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Public Health, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences/Engineering
- 5+ years relevant experience, or equivalent combination. Relevant experience includes, but is not limited to, engineering, safety, or chemical processes in a manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of current legislation and requirements regarding environment health and safety compliance at a local, regional and national level.
- Computer proficient to include web browser/internet search, MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point capabilities. Technical competence includes the ability to learn new software and systems.
- Experience with the acquisition of permits and interaction with regulators
- Experience with EHS management systems and audit processes
- Previous experience with program development and management, including: Powered Industrial Trucks, LOTO, Accident Reporting, Accident Investigation, Fire Safety, Fall Protection, and Electrical Safety. Supervisory experience is preferred but not required.
- Maintenance Technician
Job Mission and Scope:
Summary/Objective: The maintenance technician position is responsible for performing highly diversified duties to safely install, troubleshoot, repair and maintain production and facility equipment according predictive and productive maintenance systems and processes that support the achievement of the site’s business goals and objectives.
- Perform highly diversified duties to install and maintain production machines and the facility equipment.
- Provide emergency/unscheduled repairs of production equipment during production and performs scheduled maintenance repairs of production equipment during machine service.
- Perform simple machinist duties and responsibilities.
- Perform mechanic skills including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, troubleshooting and repair of production machines.
- Read and interpret equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service.
- Diagnose problems, replace or repair parts, test and make adjustments.
- Perform regular preventive maintenance on machines, equipment and plant facilities.
- Perform a variety of plumbing maintenance and carpentry functions.
- Use a variety of hand and power tools, electric meters and material handling equipment in performing duties.
- Detect faulty operations, defective material and report those and any unusual situations to proper supervision.
- Identify and escalate issues to the Equipment Engineering Manager that affect safety, quality, delivery, cost, or cycle time.
- As needed, operate independently to research and write purchase orders for spare parts, hand tools, and equipment required for maintenance duties.
- Participate in Task Force Meetings providing insight for Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action Plans for equipment.
- Provide regular feedback about how to Continuously Improve maintenance operations.
- Participate in the creation of and/or independently write Preventative Maintenance, Corrective Maintenance, and Troubleshooting Procedures.
- Comply with safety regulations and maintain clean and orderly work areas.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced manufacturing environment with shifting demands and priorities.
- Support installation and facilitation efforts for assigned equipment. Execute test plans for execution at vendor factory sites and onsite in company production facilities.
- Ability to gain an understanding of manufacturing processes and key inputs and outputs of the manufacturing process. Use that understanding to guide decision making and prioritize projects.
- Work with fellow maintenance personnel, equipment engineers, and internal teams to reduce defects, improve process and product yield and quality. Work with Operations, Engineering, Manufacturing, Maintenance, and Supply Chain teams to ensure that required personnel and material support is available when performing preventive and corrective maintenance, troubleshooting, and when supporting equipment installation, facilitation, and qualification and acceptance testing.
- Other tasks/duties may be assigned outside the items described expressly here.
- High school diploma/GED and completion of craft apprenticeship, or an equivalent number of years of education and production maintenance experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, mechanical, HVAC and industrial skills, with some PLC experience.
- Experience with web handling equipment and fluid distribution systems (pumps, piping, etc.).
- Formal or on-the-job training in welding and machining. Welding stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, and plastic. Machining those same materials using a lathe, mill, and hand tools.
- Ability to read and understand detailed technical schematics and line diagrams.
- Experience or interest in simple drafting & mechanical design using CAD (SolidWorks, Inventor, etc.).
- Excellent time management skills.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot complex problems and address root causes.
- Strong partnering and teamwork skills.
- Proven ability to multi-task multiple complex projects and execute based on priority.
- Proven ability to engage large groups and single individuals on highly technical material.
- High energy. Able to communicate up, down, and laterally across the organization.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and concisely to audiences with varied educational and technical backgrounds.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration.
- The noise level of the work environment and job sites can be loud.
- The employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouch, crawling, and climbing all day.
- Must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 lbs. (with help if required).
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule both in facility location and start time.We have two shifts from 4am-12:30pm and 12pm-8:30pm.This position is for the 12pm-8:30pm shift; however, may be required to rotate through the two shifts at the two facilities.
- Very occasional travel is expected. Equipment testing acceptance at vendor sites and supply runs to local stores/vendors along with rapid mobility between our two facilities, in Oceanside and Carlsbad.
- Senior Process Engineer
The Senior/Staff Process Engineer is responsible for improving existing membrane manufacturing processes and developing processes to support new products. The Process Engineer will use lean thinking, statistical and robust engineering methodologies to improve process capability, reduce scrap and setup and improve plant throughput.
- Compile and evaluate test data to determine appropriate limits and variables (CTQs) for process or material specifications. Perform materials characterization.
- Review processing techniques and methods applied in the manufacture, fabrication, and evaluation of membrane and element products. Develop new or modified processes. Qualify and document process recipes for turnover to manufacturing for execution.
- Conceive and execute projects for continuous yield improvement and setup time reduction. Define and select of new processing concepts. Develop and execute plans to support these goals.
- Analyze existing capacity and make recommendations of process and equipment improvements to maximize capacity and throughput. Oversee and drive associated projects into manufacturing through the change control board, documentation and training.
- Use technical problem solving skills while driving multiple projects to completion. Use statistical process control, DOE, robust engineering methodologies and engineering analysis tools.
- Regularly monitor equipment and process performance to ensure operation meets safety and quality requirements. Troubleshoot problems in the manufacturing production process including equipment problems if necessary.
- B.S. in an Engineering discipline or Materials Science plus 8-15 years of engineering experience in a manufacturing environment. Master’s or PhD preferred. Experience in Polymer Engineering a plus.
- Demonstrated record of solving problems using structured problem-solving methods (8D, Kepner-Tregoe, 5 Whys etc.) Ability to drive root cause analysis while implementing short term fixes and long- term solutions.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced rapidly changing environment.
- Record of defining and managing manufacturing process improvement projects to completion. Ability to facilitate process and behavior change.
- Demonstrated data analysis skills with statistical packages such as JMP, Minitab, SPC, Matlab, etc. Expertise in DOE methodologies. Experience in Lean Six Sigma, Theory of Constraints and Taguchi methods highly desirable.
- Able to communicate (written and oral) technical concepts clearly and concisely to audiences with varied levels of educational and technical backgrounds. Able to develop clear written instructions and procedures and train staff.
- Must be “hands-on” and comfortable spending time on the shop floor working with operators and technicians.
- Conduct engineering tests and perform detailed experimental testing to collect design data.
- Strong interpersonal and project management skills, as well as the ability to influence others.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Staff Engineer, Membrane Development
Reporting Relationship: Director of Process Engineering and NPI
Location: Oceanside, CA
Solecta is an exciting early-stage, high-tech company commercializing polymeric industrial filtration products with manufacturing facilities in Carlsbad and Oceanside, CA. The company is backed by True North Venture Partners, an investing firm that specializes in commercializing and scaling disruptive innovations.
Job Description: The Staff Engineer, Membrane Development filling this role will have the ability to apply their mastery of chemistry and engineering principles and skills to solve problems and develop solutions in a variety of contexts including new membrane product development, membrane performance characterization, and optimization of manufacturing conditions. The nimble environment of this company will allow for this scientist to push their ideas rapidly from conception to reality. Over time the right person in this role has the potential to develop into a leader in one of the most watched segments of the membrane industry.
Education and Experience (one of the following):
- BS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Material Science and 15+ years relevant experience
- MS or PhD with 10+ years relevant experience
- Research experience with flat sheet polymeric RO/NF/UF/MF membranes
- Demonstrated capacity to prove/disprove/improve models based on laboratory data
- Knowledge of membrane chemistry, manufacturing methods (e.g., Interfacial polymerization, nonsolvent-Induced Phase Separation, membrane fouling/fouling resistance).
- Knowledge of Membrane Performance Testing and Quality Assurance Testing and characterization methods e.g., SEM, FTIR, TEM, EDX, AFM etc.
- Experience with developing products using a “Stage Gate Development Process”
- Experience in taking a membrane product from the laboratory into volume manufacturing with consistently high and predictable yields
- Project Management – ability to manage projects to meet deliverables on time
- Familiarity with Robust Engineering/Taguchi Methods, Theory of Constraints a plus
- Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze data using statistics and statistical packages like MiniTab or JMP
- Element Design and Element Engineering knowledge a plus
- Orientation to “get things done”, works well in teams
- Hands-on approach and methodology
- Thrives in a fast-moving entrepreneurial culture
- VP of Technology
Reporting Relationship: Chief Operating Officer
Location: Oceanside, CA
Solecta is an exciting early-stage, high-tech company focused on solving real customer issues and commercializing polymeric industrial filtration products. Solecta has manufacturing facilities in Carlsbad and Oceanside, CA. The company is backed by True North Venture Partners, an investing firm that specializes in commercializing and scaling disruptive innovations.
The VP of Technology is responsible for leading the organization in developing new industry leading membrane and element products, product enhancements and product redesign to ensure the company’s competitive advantage. The scope includes managing product development through a disciplined Phase Gate process from research to scale up. The VP of Technology works cross-functionally with all functional groups to launch commercially successful products on schedule.
- Participate in the development of a technology strategy that supports the business strategy.
- Participate hands on in a customer discovery process to understand specific and unmet customer needs. Develop a product development roadmap to address these requirements.
- Develop and manage a Phase Gate based product development process with associated screening and retiring of technical and commercial risks.
- Build, develop and lead a high performing team of technical experts. Build a culture of launching innovative membrane chemistries, products and robust processes on time, within budget and with a sense of urgency.
- Work with universities, research centers to sponsor/support cutting edge membrane research commensurate with Solecta technical and business strategy. Participate in technical evaluation of potential technical partnerships, licensing opportunities and acquisitions.
- Stay abreast of leading trends in polymeric membrane technology for application to the company’s technology strategy.
- Oversee and prioritize key projects, processes and reporting including any outside research and development partnerships. Motivate team to ensure timely completion of functional goals.
- Develop and implement methods and procedures for monitoring projects and inform stakeholders of status of each project.
- Utilize and promote use of sound engineering and design practices, e.g., Six Sigma, QFD, FMEA, DOE, Robust Engineering, Lean and other best practices and statistical tools.
- Specify analytical equipment and procedures to characterize membranes, elements and materials.
- Build a product reliability testing function including test equipment and accelerated aging protocols.
- Support manufacturing and process engineering teams to sustain existing product lines particularly with regards to material properties, analytical testing Critical-to-Quality characteristics.
- D. in Polymer Chemistry, Polymer Engineering, Material Science or Chemical Engineering.
- 15 years of work experience with minimum 10 years directly managing product development teams.
- Ten years’ experience in developing innovative and proprietary products based on advanced materials technologies.
- Experience in developing membranes, elements or developing fluid dynamics models for elements a plus.
- Experience in commercializing innovative technologies from conception to high volume production.
- Experience in technology licensing and/or managing sponsored research a plus
- Strong interpersonal and project management skills.
- Experience in Design for Six Sigma and knowledge of tools like QFD, DOE, Taguchi.
- Experience working with customers, suppliers and external technology development partners.
- Ability to recruit, build and lead high performing technology organization. Ability to gain alignment and commitment through excellent interpersonal, writing, planning, and presentations skills.
- Experience with IP strategy and IP protection including patents and trade secrets, named inventor on issued patents.
- Self-starter with the ability to anticipate various outcomes and potential solutions. Ability to keep pace in a fast moving and dynamic business environment.
- Approachable style and good interpersonal skills.
WHAT'S IT LIKE WORKING AT SOLECTA?
Be part of a high energy, fast-paced work environment that is challenging and team oriented.
How we Work
Work with a company who has a clear purpose and focused initiatives that will have meaningful impact on a global scale.
Tools of the Trade
Utilize a powerful set of engineering tools that will enable us to create transformative capabilities in our technologies.
Join us while we revolutionize the membrane separations space and position ourselves for a clear market leadership role.